Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Join me as I frolic in the coffee leaves

Wow. That is what I have to say about my trip to Kona today. I will preface this entry by saying that I have never been to an origin country or coffee farm before, so I was pretty excited to be seeing all of this stuff!

Walking off the plane on the big island of Hawai'i I was assaulted by the harsh, moon-like surface of the island. This picture isn't quite as impacting as what I saw from the plane, but it gives you an idea of the desolation.
















Luckily, once we got into the mountains and hit the Greenwell Kona farm it got considerably more lush.

















The farm was overflowing with trees and Tommy Greenwell seems to be doing an exceptional job as a farmer. I learned alot from him, and was maybe a bit too excited to take many good pictures... I will link my random pics on flickr so I dont have to blow up blogspot.




Everywhere we went on the island seemed to have an amazing view. We ate at a little cafe that had about a 100 foot drop off the back deck. Great view of the ocean though!
















Lastly, if there is one thing that cracks me up about Hawaii it is just how differently things are done here. For example, this is the waiting area at the airport. It was completely open air and mostly uncovered. The planes literally pulled up about 75 to 100 feet away from where we were sitting! Such an unusual place.


















That is what I've got for now. Check out my flickr photos here! There are a few of my apartment, it became pretty spacious after i pushed the two twin beds together! Also I only took pics on one of my lanais. It's okay to be jealous ;D

No comments: